Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Secret Cravings' Secret Recipes: Author Lindsay Downs

Welcome to Secret Recipes. As you all know, the authors you love know how to cook up some amazing romances. But, did you know that most of us also love to cook, bake and grill? Sometimes our characters even request that we make something they like just so we can share it with you, the readers. This is the place for you to find all of those recipes. So come on in and share a bite to eat with your favorite authors. Let's get cookin'!


Please give a warm welcome to our guest author today, Lindsay Downs.

Lindsay Downs is the author of various books at Secret Cravings Publishing. Currently, there is one book in the running for the RONE awards at Ind'Tale Magazine. You can check out Don't Cross The Countess here: Voting Poll



Now, let's see what Lindsay has brought to share with us today:

When I came to this scene in Don’t Cross the Countess I wanted to write something which was fun and showed Lady Sophia Gardner, Countess of Modbury, she was able to prepare a simple but delicious breakfast.
What I chose was darn near impossible since it hadn’t been created yet but the individual parts existed. So it was back to researching and breaking down the different parts of the dish-poached eggs, toast instead of a muffin, bacon replacing ham and hollandaise sauce which hadn’t been created yet one similar was.
To make this interesting and fun I’m not going to tell you what the meal was but will award an eBook copy of Don’t Cross the Countess to one person who gives the correct answer.

From one of the hooks which hung low over the fire Sophia lifted a small pot with poached eggs floating in boiling water. She set it on the table next a skillet with perfectly crisped bacon and sausage.
With a slotted spoon she retrieved an egg and set it on a piece of toast. Next, she turned back to the fire and from another but smaller iron container scooped out some bright yellow sauce and drizzled it over the concoction.
“Here you go,” she said proudly, handing the plate to James.
“This looks marvelous. You are planning on joining me aren’t you?” he replied, grabbing up several rasher of bacon and two sausage links.
“Yes, I’m getting mine in a second. I want to make a fresh pot of tea first.”
“No, you go ahead and put your plate together. I do believe I know how to make a pot,” he insisted, relieving the glazed container from her hand.
“As you wish.”
While she prepared her breakfast, not trusting him completely, kept an eye on James to make sure he was doing it properly.
Setting her dish on the table Sophia took her seat, drained the last of her tea and barely set it down when she watched James fill it for her.
She nodded to his courtesy.
“I hope you don’t find it to strong, I learned over a campfire in Spain.”
“I’m sure it’s fine. Now please sit and eat, we’ve got a long day ahead.”
“So true,” he replied, joining her at the table.
Between bites they decided they’d take a stroll by the Ventnor townhouse. This would give them the opportunity to spot a weakness which could be exploited.
“With your beard you won’t be noticed and I’ve got an idea with a disguise for myself. After we finish eating and clean up I’ll need a few minutes to prepare.”
“Given, now is there some more as I don’t think I’ve ever tasted eggs done so beautifully prepared.”
“Yes, I made two for each of us since there’s no knowing when we’ll get a chance to eat a decent lunch,” she said.
Accepting his plate, she proceeded to prepare the same while she noticed he was refreshing her cup.
“Thank you. I must say it’s strange having a Marquess pouring tea for me.”
“About as unusual as having a Countess cook for me while we hide in a cottage in Edgware,” he retorted.
“True. Here’s yours. Enjoy, then I must make myself presentable while you do the dishes.” She cut off a large bite and stuffed it in her mouth to avoid laughing at the expression he shot her way, one of disbelief as to his upcoming task.
Finished with breakfast she cleared the table and then showed James where the soap and scrub brush was.
“I’ll be out in about twenty minutes and I’m not sure even you’ll recognize me,” she said, giving him a kiss on the cheek followed by a slap on the butt.

Blurb-
When someone tries to kill Lady Sophia Gardner, Countess of Modbury, James becomes her appointed protector. Little does she realize he’s not who he says he is.
After they find evidence of something sinister they realize the answer can only be found in London. Once there, events became even more complicated as James’ true identity is made known.
When several more attempts to kill Sophia fail they return to Modbury, later to slip back into London. Hidden but in plain sight they ferret out who and why someone wants her dead. What they learn and the individuals involved turns out to be more than expected.
Once the information is uncover they realize it could shake the foundation of the Crown to its core. First though, it has to be put into the proper hands.
Risking everything Sophia rescues James while bringing the persons involved to justice.



 Thanks so much, Lindsay! I hopped on over and voted. Best of luck to you! Please stop by again sometime soon...

Readers: Make sure you come back here and comment with your answer to Lindsay's recipe question. One lucky winner will get a copy of Don't Cross The Countess.


2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks so much for having me today.
I'd also like to wish everyone entered in the RONE voting good luck.

Beverly said...

Eggs benedict