Wednesday, March 19, 2014

New Feature: Secret Recipes

Welcome to Secret Recipes. As you all know, the authors you love know how to cook up some amazing romances. But, did you know that most of us also love to cook, bake and grill? Sometimes our characters even request that we make something they like just so we can share it with you, the readers. This is the place for you to find all of those recipes. So come on in and share a bite to eat with your favorite authors. Let's get cookin'!

If you ever lose the link to your favorite recipe post, don't worry. These recipes will always be located under the tab " Secret Recipes". You'll be able to pop right up there and find them again.

I'll kick off our new feature with a recipe that's been used by many members of my family. It may or may not be in an upcoming book I'm working on. Okay, it is. But I'm giving it to you now. I just can't resist!

My great-grandfather used it to make Christmas cookies and he passed the recipe down to my grandmother. Eventually, I got my hot-little-hands on it. Over the years, I've found I can adjust it and use it for almost any cookie my family is craving and we do love our cookies. 

It isn't by any means a "healthy" recipe, but I hope you'll try it and love it as much as we do. 

Madison Sevier's Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe: 

Ingredients:

1 1/2- Cups Granulated Sugar
2- Eggs 
1-Cup shortening
2-teaspoons vanilla
1-Cup buttermilk
4-Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2- teaspoon salt
1-teaspoon baking soda
2-teaspoons baking powder
**Have extra flour on hand for rolling/cut-outs

Instructions:
Combine all dry ingredients in medium bowl.
Cream shortening and sugar in large mixing bowl. 
Mix eggs in one at a time ( low speed as to not overbeat). 
Add vanilla to buttermilk. 
Combine dry ingredients with sugar mixture: Alternate dry ingredients and buttermilk/vanilla. (You should always begin with dry and end with dry) just until combined. 
After dough is well combined, it may seem softer than other cookie recipes but don't worry. It will firm up and you can always add more flour the next day if needed. 
Cover bowl of cookie dough with lid, foil, saran wrap...whichever you have on hand. Chill in refrigerator overnight.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 mins. (Baking time will vary depending on your oven, altitude, etc. Adjust accordingly)

**This dough can be used for Drop Cookies or Roll/Cut-outs. I also use this for chocolate chip cookies. You can add 1/2 cup baking cocoa and 1/2 cup sugar for chocolate sugar cookies.

Here is one example of how they turn out. This particular batch is from the 4th of July. My frosting skills aren't the greatest. But any cookie is a good cookie in my book.


Thank you for stopping by and I hope you'll stop by again to tell me all about the cookies you made. 

7 comments:

krissy malott said...

oooh yummy! i love sugar cookies <3
great post! thank you for sharing!

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...



Sugar cookies are my favorite. I'd love to wiggle my nose and find a plate of them on my table.

Thanks for the recipe.

Madison Sevier said...

Krissy, thank you for stopping by :)
Feel free to stop back and/or send me pics of your cookies after you make them :)

Kathleen, if only that nose-wiggling would work! A girl can dream, right? LOL.
Thank you for checking out our new feature <3

Tomorrow, Jean Joachim will be sharing one of her recipes from her Manhattan Dinner Club Series :))

kathleen ball said...

They look great- making me hungry!!

Madison Sevier said...

Thanks and hope we'll see a recipe from you soon, Kathleen <3

E.L. F. said...

I will have to try this recipe one of these days. I have vague memories of using a glass to smash down the sugar cookie dough when I was young...and how much fun that was. Thanks for sharing!

Madison Sevier said...

Thanks for stopping by ;) I remember using a glass when I was younger, too. Wow...I'd forgotten all about it until you said that.